Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student’s program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021 or ACG X022 or (ACG X001 & ACG X011) - 3 credit hours
- *ACG X071 or ACG X301 - 2-3 credit hours
- CGS X100** or CGS X100C or CGS X570 or CGS X060 or CGS 531 or CGS X000 or ISM X000 or CGS X518 - 3-4 credit hours
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics - 3 credit hours
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics - 3 credit hours
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC X311 - 3-4 credit hours
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or STA X122 or QMB X100 - 3-4 credit hours
*Accounting majors must earn a C not C- in ACG 2021 & ACG 2071
** or demonstrated competency.
Major Core (15 Hours)
Within the 120-semester-hour program, students must complete a set of 6 required courses and 3 approved electives.
Students choose to enroll as either:
- a Business Analytics and Information Systems major or
- a Business Analytics and Information Systems major with a concentration in Cybersecurity or
- a Business Analytics and Information Systems major with a concentration in Healthcare Business
Students must have a 2.0 or higher GPA in the major; they can use grade forgiveness for only one upper-level course. A grade point average of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work. BAIS majors must earn a “C” or higher (not C-) in ISM 3011 and the six required courses. At least 18 hours must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
ISM 3232 (Business Application Development) is recommended to be taken concurrently with ISM 3011 (Information Systems in Organizations).
ISM 4402 is recommended for students interested in mainstream business analytics careers, while ISM 4220 is recommended for students interested in mainstream careers in Management Information Systems. Students can always take both these courses and have the second one count as an elective (see below).
Major Electives (9 Hours)
***No more than three hours of ISM 4950 (Independent Research) can be counted as MIS electives. ISM 4905 (Independent Study) will not count as an elective.
Students should see an advisor for a list of other approved upper-level area elective courses.
Students must have a 2.0 or higher GPA in the major; they can use grade forgiveness for only one upper-level course. A grade point average of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all major coursework at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work.
BAIS majors must earn a “C” or higher (not C-) in ISM 3011 and the five required Business Analytics and Information Systems (BA&IS) courses.
At least 18 hours must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
All undergraduate students in any degree program can participate in undergraduate research. There are a number of options to receive academic credit for a mentored research experience and to have the experience show on the official transcript. Students who wish to enroll in an undergraduate research course should consult with their academic advisor to understand how the credit will apply towards the degree requirements. If no credit is needed, students may be eligible to enroll in the 0-credit IDS 2912 , IDS 4914 or IDH 4910 courses. These courses will not impact degree credits or GPA but will show on an official transcript and document the experience. The Office of Undergraduate Research will assist students in understanding the various course options.
It is strongly recommended that Business Analytics and Information Systems students take an internship course (IISM 4940 ) as part of their plan of study.
Accelerated B.S./M.S. Program
Accelerated B.S. in Business Analytics and Information Systems and M.S. in Business Analytics and Information Systems
The goal of the USF Muma College of Business integrated undergraduate-graduate program in BAIS/BAI is to provide outstanding undergraduate students an option to complete the B.S. undergraduate degree in BAIS and the M.S. graduate degree in BAI in five years (141 total hours). The integrated B.S./M.S. program is a 141-hour undergraduate-graduate option that allows eligible students to work towards the M.S. in BAI degree requirements while completing their undergraduate B.S. degree. Students interested in this option will work closely with an advisor and a faculty member to develop an integrated plan of study.
For more information, see the Graduate Catalog for Accelerated Majors.
- Orientation for freshmen and transfer students.
- Academic advising and program information for pre-business students who have applied to the Muma College of Business and declared business as their intended major.
- Students who meet all Muma College of Business admission requirements.
- Evaluation of undergraduate transcripts for all declared and admitted business transfer students.
- Maintenance of academic advising records.
- Certification of graduation.
Location: C.H. Ferguson Hall (Business Administration Building) (BSN) 2102, (813) 974-4290 or schedule an advising appointment on-line: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/advising/.
Office Hours: 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday and 8am-4pm on Friday. Please refer to website for most current office hours information
Business Analytics and Information Systems Faculty
Chairperson: M. Agrawal; Professor Emeritus: J.E. Blanton; Professors: M. Agrawal; A. Bhattacherjee, K. Chari, G. de Veerde; T.G. Gill, A.R. Hevner (Citigroup/Hidden River Endowed Chair), W. Jank (Anderson Professor of Global Management); B. Padmanabhan; Associate Professors: D.J. Berndt, J. Jones, B. Padmanabhan (Anderson Professor of Global Management), T.L. Sincich, R.P. Will; Assistant Professor: K. Dutta; S. Shivendu; H. Zhang; Instructors: A. Athienitis; D. Conway; C. Daniel; M. Dummeldinger, M. Mullarkey; R. Satterfield, B. Warner, W.W. Whitlock.
Plan of Study
Click here for Plan of Study. Once on this page, select the program from the available drop-down and then click ‘View Selected Plan.’