(CIP = 52.1401) (MKT)
TOTAL DEGREE HOURS: 120
Marketing is a dynamic field with many dimensions, including product selection and planning, product distribution, branding, pricing and promotion. Marketing poses many challenges and yields generous rewards for those who meet these challenges. Marketing operations are carried out domestically and internationally in virtually all business organizations that offer a product or service. Many marketing concepts are applicable to the operations of non-profit organizations such as governmental, educational, and health care institutions, as well as charitable and political campaigns. Marketing operations provide the most visible links between the firm or institution and its many publics. Marketing deals with people who are constantly changing in their needs, wants, and desires; and coupled with these changing tastes is a fiercely competitive environment sustained by all the resources of a rapidly evolving technology. These forces lead to much of the challenge and dynamic nature of marketing. The Marketing program at USF prepares students for initial entry and management positions in many areas of marketing with a curriculum that is concerned with:
- Understanding how to attract and retain customers
- Having the ability to find and analyze information
- Being able to design, collect, and analyze marketing information to be used in managerial decision making
- Using electronic and traditional media to create satisfied loyal customers
- Having personal communication skills that businesses demand
- Being capable of writing a winning marketing plan
- Understanding and being able to apply the latest marketing concepts
THIS MAJOR HAS ADDITIONAL ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS AS LISTED IN THIS SECTION.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business has many upper-level, limited access programs, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student’s program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- ACG X021 or ACG X022 or (ACG X001 & ACG X011) - 3 credit hours
- ACG X071 or ACG X301 - 2-3 credit hours
- CGS X100* or CGS X100C or CGS X570 or CGS X060 or CGS X531 or CGS X000 or ISM X000 or CGS X518 - 3-4 credit hours
- ECO X013 - 3 credit hours
- ECO X023 - 3 credit hours
- STA X023 or STA X122 or QMB X100 - 3-4 credit hours
- MAC X233
Accounting majors must earn a C not C- in ACG 2021 & ACG 2071
*Or demonstrated competency.
Major Core (9 Credit Hours)
Within the 120-semester-hour program, students must complete a minimum of 21 hours in marketing beyond MAR 3023 .
Students choose to enroll as either a:
- Marketing major or
- Marketing major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship or
- Marketing major with a concentration in Sales or
- Marketing major with a concentration in Sport and Entertainment Management or
- Marketing major with a concentration in Supply Chain Management
A 2.0 GPA in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work. A grade of C or higher (not C-) is required in MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing . At least 15 hours of upper-level marketing core courses must be taken in residence at USF Tampa. Students must earn at least a C- for the courses to count in the Marketing major.
If a student chooses a concentration, please see concentration-specific courses.
Major Electives (12 Credit Hours)
Major Required Electives (6 Credit Hours)
Additional upper-level marketing courses (6 Credit Hours)
A 2.0 GPA in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work.
At least 15 hours of upper level marketing core courses must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
All undergraduate students in any degree program can participate in undergraduate research. There are a number of options to receive academic credit for a mentored research experience and to have the experience show on the official transcript. Students who wish to enroll in an undergraduate research course should consult with their academic advisor to understand how the credit will apply towards the degree requirements. If no credit is needed, students may be eligible to enroll in the 0-credit IDS 2912 , IDS 4914 or IDS 4910 courses. These courses will not impact degree credits or GPA but will show on an official transcript and document the experience. The Office of Undergraduate Research will assist students in understanding the various course options.
It is strongly recommended that Marketing Majors take an internship course (MAR 4940 - Marketing Internship/Practicum ) as part of their plan of study. The marketing practicum course provides students an internship opportunity to gain real world business experiences while they continue to take other courses and make progress towards their degree. Intern sponsors are provided as part of the course and academic work is delivered online. It is also recommended that courses in information technology, finance, management, and international business be included in the business electives.
- Orientation for freshmen and transfer students.
- Academic advising and program information for pre-business students who have applied to the Muma College of Business and declared business as their intended major.
- Students who meet all Muma College of Business admission requirements.
- Evaluation of undergraduate transcripts for all declared and admitted business transfer students.
- Maintenance of academic advising records.
- Certification of graduation.
Location: C.H. Ferguson Hall (Business Administration Building) (BSN) 2102, (813) 974-4290 or schedule an advising appointment on-line: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/advising/.
Office Hours: 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday and 8am-4pm on Friday. Please refer to website for most current office hours information.
Chairperson: D.F. Davis; Professors: D.F. Davis, T.B. Heath, D.J. Ortinau, R. Plank, P.J. Solomon, J.R. Stock; Associate Professors: A. Artis, D. Biswas, A. Kumar, B. Lafferty, S. Varki; Assistant Professors: R. Hooker, J. Mena; Instructors: M.G. Bowen; R. Kelso; C. Osborne, V.B. Panzer, J.M. Solomon, K. Walsh.
(CIP = 52.1401)
Total Concentration Hours: 21
Major Core (9 Credit Hours)
Required Marketing Courses (9 Credit Hours)
Concentration Core (12 Credit Hours)
A 2.0 GPA in all major coursework at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA, including transfer work.
Course Grade Requirement
A grade of “C” or higher (not C-) is required in MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing . A minimum grade of C- is required for all Marketing coursework.
At least 15 credit hours of upper-level Marketing core courses must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
Plan of Study
Click here for Plan of Study. Once on this page, select the program from the available drop-down and then click ‘View Selected Plan.’