What are Digital Badges?
Colleges and universities are working with employers to develop digital badges that highlight the skills students learn.
Digital badges allow you to showcase your achievements and the skills you’ve learned through related coursework. With a digital badge, you can…
- Highlight skills on your resume, college co-curricular transcript, job applications, social media, and more.
- Learn about competencies employers are looking for in your field.
- Identify open positions linked to the skills and competencies identified in the badges you have earned.
- Separate yourself from other candidates and applicants.
The best news - there is no additional cost to receive a general education badge! The digital badge is earned by completion of general education core courses, which are already built into associate in science, associate in arts and baccalaureate degree programs. Florida’s 12 state universities and 28 state colleges will automatically award the badge upon completion of the required coursework. And because the badge will appear on your FASTER* transcript, it will be accepted by all institutions if you choose to transfer.
Fundamentals of Written Communication Badge
Florida public postsecondary institutions now offer students a Fundamentals of Written Communication digital badge. With this badge, you will be able to not only enhance your personal communication skills but also convey to future employers that you have acquired vital skills needed for professional success.
What is Effective Written Communication?
Effective written communication is the ability to communicate ideas, information, and perspective clearly, adapting a message to different audiences and situations, and using the appropriate style to convey meaning in various contexts.
Why is effective written communication important in the workplace?
- Enhances an employee’s ability to interpret and evaluate a wide variety of written material
- Promotes research, critical thinking, and problem solving
- Advances the development of clearly written material relevant to the intent
- Enhances the use of appropriate language for an intended audience
- Increases the competent, effective, and responsible use of information
What are you learning by earning this badge?
By completing the college course associated with this badge, you will demonstrate information literacy, comprehension of written material, and conveying information in writing for a variety of rhetorical purposes and audiences.
Some of the learning outcomes associated with the college course that results in this badge include:
- Examining and analyzing written material
- Synthesizing information and ideas
- Developing content relevant to the purpose
- Demonstrating the ability to write to a specific audience
- Presenting a perspective informed by research and critical thinking
- Revising written communication based on feedback
How to Earn this Digital Badge?
- Enroll in one of the following college courses: ENC X101 OR a course in which ENC X101 is a prerequisite.
- Successfully complete the course with a grade of “C” or better.
- Digital badge will automatically be awarded by the public institution where you complete the course and added to your FASTER* transcript.
*FASTER is the Florida Automated System for Transferring Educational Records.