Priority Admission Application Deadlines: http://www.grad.usf.edu/programs/search_all.php
This program is offered fully online.
Department: Language, Literacy, Ed.D., Exceptional Education, and Physical Education
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/programs/search_all.php
The Master of Arts in Reading Education is a distinctive program designed to prepare expert literacy educators and effective literacy leaders. In addition to the scientific study of reading, students will expand their knowledge of global literacies, explore disciplinary literacy practices, develop critical literacies, and advance their digital and media literacy competencies.
The M.A. in Reading program uses interactive and engaging online technologies and is designed for outstanding educators in K-12 classrooms or individuals interested in non-school applications requiring professional literacy expertise.
Applicants with initial certification may pursue the Reading Certification as part of this major. However, this major is also open to applicants without initial certification who may earn the M.A., but will not be eligible for initial or reading certification.
Accreditation: Accredited by the CAEP, and the Florida Department of Education.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below. In order to be considered for admission, first-time or transferring graduate applicants must submit:
Applicants seeking graduate study without certification, provide the following documentation:
- A current resume that outlines previous education and relevant literacy K-12 teaching/mentoring experience;
- A statement of purpose that outlines literacy leadership/teaching experience (and K-12 experience for applicants with initial certification) and a rationale for seeking a Masters of Arts degree in Reading Education;
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to professional work experience, work ethic, and academic abilities.
In addition, applicants seeking Reading Certification, must provide the following documentation:
- A current Professional Educator’s Certificate (if certificate is not from Florida, applicants must provide proof of successful passage of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FCTE);
- Applicants who don’t meet minimum admission requirements but have National Board Certification and an outstanding professional record should contact the department for options.
TSL 5085 ESOL I - Theory and Practice of Teaching English Language Learners (This pre-requisite course requirement may be waived with appropriate documentation of ESOL certification on a professional teaching certificate or coursework waiver with approval from the ESOL coordinator)
For International Students
International students should check with International Services (https://www.usf.edu/world/international-services/index.aspx) for the latest information on requirements related to State testing, internship and practica.