2020-2021 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Library and Information Science, M.A.
Priority Admission Application Deadlines: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
College: Arts and Sciences
Department: School of Information
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
The M.A. in Library and Information Science (LIS) is designed to prepare students for careers and leadership roles in library and information professions that serve the needs of a culturally diverse, technological society. The program is fully online, and offers student a flexible curriculum for them to meet their professional goals. Graduates of USF’s LIS program work in libraries, businesses, and various information agencies across the state, nationally, and internationally.
The M.A. in Library and Information has been continually accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) since 1974, with the most recent review for continued accreditation occurring in 2016. Completion of the degree provides the professional credential commonly required for employment in many libraries and other information agencies. For those interested in becoming School Library Media Specialists, the degree offers coursework that will prepare students to pass the examination for certification required by the State of Florida. For more information, http://si.usf.edu/ma/library-program/
Major Research Areas
Information Storage and Retrieval
School Media Specialist
Archives and Records Management
Visualization of Information
Human Information Behavior
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
- GRE is required with preferred minimum scores of 73rd percentile (156V), 10th percentile (141Q). However, the LIS program will waive the GRE requirement if the student meets one of the following criteria:
- A 3.50 or higher GPA in a completed master’s degree program from an accredited institution
- A 3.25 or higher GPA in upper division undergraduate work from an accredited institution.
- Doctoral degree (including professional degrees such as the JD and MD) from an accredited institution.
- All students not meeting one of the above criteria will be considered for conditional admission based on all of the following criteria:
- GRE - preferred minimum score of 156 (73rd percentile) Verbal; 141 (10th percentile) Quantitative
- An academic writing sample
- Three written letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Conditional admission status will be converted to regular status upon completion of the first three LIS courses with a GPA of 3.50 or above. LIS 5020 must be included as one of these courses.