May 29, 2022
The M.A.T. degree is for individuals with a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education who wish to become certified teachers in social science at the middle or senior high school level. This Major leads to teaching certification in grade 6-12 social sciences as part of the master’s degree program.
Accredited by the Florida State Department of Education.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
- Major: A bachelor’s degree in a social studies field that is taught at the 6-12 grade level OR the equivalent bachelor’s and/or graduate degrees from a foreign institution
- Survey of American History 1 & 2;
- Survey of Western Civilization or World History 1 & 2; and
- Geography, economics. psychology, and either anthropology or sociology
Students who do not have these eight (8) courses can submit passing scores on the Florida 6-12 Social Sciences Subject Area Exam with their application in partial or full consideration of the prerequisites and consideration for admission.
Requirements for all applicants include:
- 3.00 in graduate coursework can be used to augment the undergraduate GPA.
- 250-word letter of interest stating your objectives in pursuing this course of study
- Two letters of recommendation attesting to the applicants’ potential success as a graduate student and his/her ability to work with adolescents.
- Disclosure of arrest and conviction information
In addition to the University requirements, applicants to the College of Education must provide the following:
- A social security number in degree programs requiring practica or internships;
- Other information as required by the major of interest, (e.g. Graduate Record Exam scores, etc.)
Total Minimum hours: 33 hours Minimum
- Core Requirements - 12 Credit Hours
- Trends - 3 Credit Hours
- Specialization - 9 Credit Hours
- Practicum/Internship - 9 Credit hours
The requirements are as follows or as recommended by the graduate advisor and approved by the college and/or Office of Graduate Studies.
Core Requirements (12 Credit Hours)
Current Trends in Teaching Concentration (3 Credit Hours)
Specialization Requirements (9 Credit Hours)
Practicum, Internship, Field Experiences, Etc. (9 Credit Hours)
All sections of the FTCE Prof., and Educ. & Subj. Area: Social Science 6-12 must be passed prior to internship.
Program of studies will be planned so that all course work will be completed prior to the internship. However, should there be a need for an exception; M.A.T. students may take one 3-credit course during internship—although this is unadvisable given the full-time nature of the teaching experience and one 3-credit course after internship.
All school districts require fingerprints for a minimum of practica and final internship. Students must pass a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the school district. Some districts also require drug testing.