TOTAL DEGREE HOURS: 120
Plans of Study
Global Business refers to a business that is conducted across national borders. Firms face difficult challenges due to differences in country-specific political, economic, social, cultural, technological, institutional, regulatory, and organizational contexts.
The Bachelor of Arts in Global Business provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary for successful careers in the global business environment. Graduates will have not only a Global Business major, but also a concentration in one of the functional areas of business (Finance, Management, Marketing, and Business Analytics and Information Systems). With this preparation, graduates will find employment in many manufacturing, service or knowledge-based industries with global markets, global suppliers, global sources of finance and/or a globally diverse workforce. The Global Business program is unique in that it combines preparation in business administration with language studies and a meaningful overseas work or study experience.
University Admissions - Muma College of Business
Admission to the University is based on the University’s Undergraduate Admission Requirements that may be found by clicking on the following urls:
Progression Requirements - Muma College of Business
All students entering USF for the first time in Fall 2017 or later, who subsequently earn three (3) D and/or F grades in any or any combination of the following courses at USF will be required to change their major to a major more appropriate to their goals and academic performance and to a major not conferred by the Muma College of Business. The courses are: ACG 2021 , ACG 2071 , CGS 2100 , ECO 2013 , ECO 2023 , MAC 2233 (or equivalent), and QMB 2100 (or equivalent).
Graduation Requirements - Muma College of Business
Satisfactory completion of the following requirements:
- General Education Program (36 credit hours), including State Core General Education Requirements;
- State Computation (6 credit hours);
- State Communication (6 credit hours, in addition to ENC 1101 and ENC 1102 );
- Minimum of 120 unduplicated credit hours;
- A minimum adjusted grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on all coursework taken at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA average on all college-level coursework;
- Major and college requirements in a chosen degree program;
- Nine credit hours of coursework taken during the summer term(s) (if entered USF with less than 60 credit hours);
- Registration and successful completion of at least thirty (30) of the last sixty (60) credit hours;
- 42 credit hours of upper-level coursework;
- Civics Literacy;
- Foreign language admissions coursework.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites - Muma College of Business
Following Florida BOG Regulation 8.010, state mandated common course prerequisites are lower-division courses that are required for progression into the upper division of a particular baccalaureate degree program.
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student’s program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level will not be accepted for upper division credit at USF in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF Muma College of Business, but may only earn a major in Management. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.5 GPA in the seven (7) courses:
- ACG X021 Principles of Financial Accounting or ACG X022 or (ACG X001 & ACG X011) - 3-6 credit hours
- ACG X071 Managerial Accounting or ACG X301 - 3 credit hours
- CGS X100 Computers in Business or CGS X100C or CGS X570 or CGS X060 or CGS X531 or CGS X000 or ISM X000 or CGS X518 or CGS X101 - 3 credit hours
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics - 3 credit hours
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics - 3 credit hours
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or STA X122 or QMB X100 - 3 credit hours
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus - 3 credit hours
Global Business Required Courses: (60 credit hours)
Business Foundation Courses (required of ALL Business majors): 9 courses; 27 credit hours
A minimum grade of C- in each Foundation Course and an overall 2.0 GPA is required.
- BUL 3320 - Law And Business I Credit(s): 3
- FIN 3403 - Principles of Finance Credit(s): 3
- GEB 4890 - Strategic Management and Decision Making Credit(s): 3
- ISM 3011 - Information Systems in Organizations Credit(s): 3
- MAN 3025 - Principles of Management Credit(s): 3
- MAN 4504 - Operations and Supply Chain Management Credit(s): 3
- MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing Credit(s): 3
- QMB 3200 - Business and Economic Statistics II Credit(s): 3
- RMI 3004 - Principles of Risk Management Credit(s): 3
- Finance, Personal Financial Planning, and Risk Management and Insurance majors must earn a C, not a C-, in FIN 3403 with no more than two attempts.
- Business Analytics and Information Systems (B.A.I.S.) and Information Assurance and Cybersecurity Management majors must earn C, not C-, in ISM 3011
- Advertising, Marketing, and Supply Chain Management majors must earn a C, not a C-, in MAR 3023
Other business required courses (6 credit hours)
Global Business Supporting Required Courses: 3 courses; 9 credit hours
The following courses are supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
A minimum grade of C- in each Supporting course is required.
Global Business Major Core Courses: 2 courses; 6 credit hours
Global Business Major (Restricted) Electives: 6 courses; 18 credit hours
Global Business Major Electives: 2 courses; 6 credit hours
Select two courses from the following list of International Business courses:
Concentration: 4 courses; 12 credit hours
Students must declare and complete a 12 credit hour concentration from the following list:
Finance Concentration: 4 courses; 12 credit hours
Concentration Core: 4 courses; 12 credit hours
Additional Information - Global Business B.A.
- An approved study abroad or overseas internship must be completed as part of the degree requirements.
- Courses used to satisfy a major in Accounting, Business Analytics and Information Systems, Finance, Management, or Marketing may not be used to satisfy the concentration requirement for the Global Business major. Courses used for a Global Business concentration cannot be used for a major.
- A minimum adjusted grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on all coursework taken at USF.
- An overall 2.0 GPA average on all college-level coursework.
In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
Within the 120-semester-hour program, students must complete a minimum of 27 hours of upper-level coursework with a grade of C- in all courses.
Major residency: Nine (9) of the 12 required major core credit hours must be taken at USF. At least 9 credit hours of concentration coursework must be taken in residence at USF.
College residency: Muma College of Business residency requirements for graduation exceed the minimum requirements established for USF. Students are required to complete satisfactorily at USF a minimum of 50 percent (30-33 credit hours depending on major) of required Business courses. Normally, independent study and independent research courses do not fulfill this requirement.
Research Opportunities - Muma College of Business
Undergraduate students in any degree program are able to participate in undergraduate research. Several options exist to show mentored undergraduate research activity on a student’s official transcript. Those who wish to enroll in an undergraduate research course should consult with their academic advisor to understand how the credit will apply towards the degree requirements. If no credit is needed, students may be eligible to enroll in the 0-credit IDS 4914 course. This course will not impact degree credits or GPA but will show on an official transcript and document the experience. The Office of High Impact Practices and Undergraduate Research (HIPUR) is able to assist with further inquiries.
Plans of Study - Global Business B.A., with Finance Concentration