Feb 26, 2024
The M.S. in Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health is offered by the Department of Child and Family Studies, College of Behavioral and Community Sciences. This major will prepare students for careers in public and non-profit organizations serving youth and their families to serve in roles such as director, supervisor, case manager, evaluator, and consultant within these organizations. Students have the opportunity to focus their coursework on individual areas of interest, including leadership, developmental disabilities, research and evaluation, and youth and behavioral health.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
- One page statement of goals/career objectives. This should include why you are applying to this particular program, how you believe the program can help you achieve your goals, and any relevant experience in child & adolescent behavioral health.
- Writing sample submitted in Essay portion of the online application. This can be from previous coursework or something written in a professional setting.
- A Resume/CV outlining academic, professional, and/or volunteer work/experience
- Three Letters of recommendation from academic or professional supervisors, preferably at least one letter from an academic faculty member.
Total Minimum Hours: 39 Credit Hours
- Core - 12 Credit hours
- Other Required Courses - 21 Credit hours
- Thesis/Non-Thesis - 6 Credit hours
Core Requirements (12 Credit Hours)
Other Required Courses (21 Credit Hours)
Other required courses are selected from the list below or from other departments, and must be approved by the student’s advisor.
All students must pass a written comprehensive examination. Students who do not pass on the first attempt will retake the exam. Students who do not pass the re-take exam may petition for a third attempt. Petitions are granted on a case-by-case basis and are dependent upon adequate justification for a requested third attempt. Students who fail the examination three times will be recommended for dismissal from the program.
Thesis/ Non-Thesis Field Experience (6 Credit Hours Minimum)