Dec 08, 2023
This degree does not satisfy the requirements for Florida initial teaching certifiation. Students seeking initial teacher certification should pursue the M.A.T. in Elementary Education (ESOL and Reading Endorsements) program.
The Masters in Arts in Elementary Education is designed for those with certification in the discipline who desire to increase their competence in Elementary Education curriculum. Graduates bring leadership skills to teaching and curriculum-focused teacher leadership roles in schools and education-related organizations. Students may be eligible for the Teacher Leadership for Student Learning Garduate Certificate. Students must apply to the graduate certificate to be eligible. Refer to the Certificate for specific requirements and information. The M.A. is not designed for those seeking initial certification.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
- Have an earned, valid, professional teaching certificate or be eligible for professional certification through the completion of a Bachelor’s Degree (state-approved) program.
- A statement of purpose indicating reasons for applying to the program, pertinent personal and professional dispositions or experiences and/or credentials relevant to teaching.
- Two letters of recommendation (professional/academic reference letters and contact information from individuals who can attest to academic accomplishments.
- A current resume.
For international applicants:
International students entering this degree program must obtain a social security number for purposes of practicum, internship and certification testing.
Total Minimum Hours: 36 credit hours
- Shared Core Requirements - 6 Credit Hours
- Concentration - 30 Credit Hours
Shared Core Requirements (6 Credit Hours)
Concentration (30 Credit Hours)
Students choose one of the following concentrations:
Teacher Leadership Concentration (30 Credit Hours)
Students complete the following nine (9) credit hours:
STEM Concentration (30 Credit Hours)
Note - This concentration is for full-time teachers.
In lieu of a Comprehensive Exam:
- Students enrolled in the Teacher Leadership concentration must successfully complete a Transition Point Project after each teacher leadership course, culminating in an action research project.
- Students enrolled in the STEM concentration must successfully complete a STEM portfolio by the end of their graduating semester. In the portfolio, students will demonstrate how their teaching strategies have developed, based upon their work in this program. Guidelines and important dates for submission will be shared at the beginning of the student’s graduating semester at the latest.
Students enrolled in the STEM concentration must possess 60 hours of ESOL training upon completion of the Program. If a student enters the Program without 60 hours of ESOL, it is the student’s responsibility to provide proof of successful completion of 60 hours of ESOL prior to being certified to graduate.