Department: Dean’s Office
Also offered as a Concurrent Degrees
The M.H.A. program prepares students for public and privates sector leadership positions in health services and related organizations, such as hospitals, health systems, physician group practices, and health insurance plans. Students develop knowledge and skills in contemporary management methods and policy decision making, integrating a population health management approach. The curriculum develops skills in basic business disciplines with application to health services, a clinical and community perspective and professional skills. The M.H.A. program serves early to mid-career professionals, including those seeking transition into and advancement within the health care industry, as well as recent graduates of undergraduate programs.
The College is accredited by the Council on Education in Public Health. Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME).
Major Research Areas:
Health services management, Healthcare financial management, Health economics, Quantitative methods in health services, Health insurance, Health law, Quality management, Performance improvement, Community health assessment, Organizational theory and behavior applied to health settings, Health information management, Health policy, and Strategic planning and marketing.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements, as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below. Meeting these criteria per se shall not be the only basis for admission.
- Official Transcripts (Sent ONLY to SOPHAS)
- A thorough statement of purpose and objectives indicating the applicant’s interest on obtaining a degree in public health, and how they hope to contribute to the field.
- Both SOPHAS and USF applications and fees are required for USF’s College of Public Health Graduate Programs.
- Complete a SOPHAS application at www.sophas.org and submit all required application materials to SOPHAS. All application materials must be submitted only to SOPHAS.
- Complete and submit the USF graduate application and fee at https://secure.vzcollegeapp.com/usf/. Do not upload or submit any application materials directly to USF.
- Allow two to four weeks for SOPHAS to verify the application. Make sure to follow up with SOPHAS regularly to meet all of their requirements to verify your application.
- Monitor the email that you provided in SOPHAS for application decisions and other communications.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- At least two formal Letters of Recommendation
- Public health course prerequisites:
- Suggested/preferred undergraduate majors: Life sciences, social sciences, business, or health professions.
- Prerequisite undergraduate courses: Microeconomics or equivalent (prerequisite must be completed prior to enrolling in PHC 6430 Health Economics I) and Accounting (prerequisite must be completed prior to enrolling in PHC 6160 Health Care Financial Management)
- Work experience: Preferred, but not required.