The Bachelor of Arts in Global Business provides students with the knowledge, skills and experience necessary for successful careers in the global business environment. Graduates will have not only a Global Business major, but also a concentration in one of the functional areas of business (Finance, Management, Marketing, and Business Analytics and Information Systems). With this preparation, graduates will find employment in many manufacturing, service or knowledge-based industries with global markets, global suppliers, global sources of finance and/or a globally diverse workforce. The Global Business program is unique in that it combines preparation in business administration with language studies and a meaningful overseas work or study experience.
THIS MAJOR HAS ADDITIONAL ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS AS LISTED IN THIS SECTION.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business has many upper-level, limited access programs, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student’s program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration and economics courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration or economics. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- ACG X021 or ACG X022 or (ACG X001 & ACG X011) - 3 credit hours
- ACG X071 or ACG X301 - 2-3 credit hours
- CGS X100* or CGS X100C or CGS X570 or CGS X060 or CGS X531 or CGS X000 or ISM X000 - 3-4 credit hours
- ECO X013 - 3 credit hours
- ECO X023 - 3 credit hours
- STA X023 or STA X122or QMB X100 - 3-4 credit hours
- MAC X233
Accounting majors must earn a C not C- in ACG 2021 & ACG 2071 .
* Or demonstrated competency.
Major Requirements (27 Credit Hours)
Major requirements for the B.A. Degree:
Major Core (15 Credit Hours)
A minimum of 120 hours is required to complete a B.A. in Global Business.
Business Courses (12 Credit Hours)
Choose three (3) of the following four courses:
Foreign Language Exit Requirement (3 Credit Hours)
- One foreign language course above the beginning language sequence, in the same language as the beginning foreign language sequence.
Note: A beginning foreign language sequence (I and II) is required to meet the University’s Foreign Language Exit (FLEX) Requirement.
Global Business Concentration is required (12 Credit Hours)
- A student must declare a 12-hour concentration from the following list:
- Business Analytics and Information Systems
Other Degree Requirements
Overseas Business Internship or Study Abroad Experience: An approved study abroad or overseas internship must be completed as part of the degree requirements. Please meet with an advisor for study abroad/internship approval.
Please note: Courses used to satisfy a major in Accounting, Business Analytics and Information Systems, Finance, Management, or Marketing may not be used to satisfy the concentration requirement for the Global Business major. Courses used for a Global Business concentration cannot be used for a major.
Course Grade Requirement
A 2.0 GPA is required for the Business courses, no grade below a C- will be accepted.
No grade below a C- will be accepted for the major and concentration coursework.
Nine (9) of the 12 required major core credit hours must be taken on the USF Tampa campus.
Foreign Language Requirement
The Bachelor of Arts in Global Business requires students to successfully complete the University’s Foreign Language Exit Requirement (FLEX).
Required Business courses cannot be used to satisfy the Business concentrations.
All undergraduate students in any degree program can participate in undergraduate research. There are a number of options to receive academic credit for a mentored research experience and to have the experience show on the official transcript. Students who wish to enroll in an undergraduate research course should consult with their academic advisor to understand how the credit will apply towards the degree requirements. If no credit is needed, students may be eligible to enroll in the 0-credit IDS 2912 , IDS 4914 or IDS 4910 courses. These courses will not impact degree credits or GPA but will show on an official transcript and document the experience. The Office of Undergraduate Research will assist students in understanding the various course options.
Overseas Business Internship or Study Abroad Experience
The Global Business major is designed to be completed within 120 credit hours. Certain courses satisfy requirements in more than one area. To maximize academic options, students should seek guidance from an advisor once a decision has been made to pursue this major.
- Orientation for freshmen and transfer students.
- Academic advising and program information for pre-business students who have applied to the Muma College of Business and declared business as their intended major.
- Students who meet all Muma College of Business admission requirements.
- Evaluation of undergraduate transcripts for all declared and admitted business transfer students.
- Maintenance of academic advising records.
- Certification of graduation.
Location: C.H. Ferguson Hall (Business Administration Building) (BSN) 2102, (813) 974-4290 or schedule an advising appointment on-line: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/advising/.
Office Hours: 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday and 8am-4pm on Friday. Please refer to website for most current office hours information.