Dec 03, 2021
Priority Admission Application Deadlines: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
Minimum Total Hours: 51 post-masters
CIP Code: 09.0101
Dept. Code: SPE
Major/College Codes: SPE AS
College: Arts and Sciences
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
Graduate study at the University of South Florida Department of Communication emphasizes critical, qualitative, and quantitative research, a comprehensive focus that is unusual among graduate programs in the field of Communication. The department embraces innovative humanistic and social scientific approaches to inquiry and engagement in health, media, organizational and relational communication, with emphases on culture, performance, and social justice.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
- Three letters of recommendation;
- Writing sample,
- Statement of purpose
- GRE with preferred scores of at least 153V (61st precentile)
- CV or resume
Total Minimum hours: 51 credit hours post-masters
Core - 6 credit hours
Course Requirements - 33 creditd hours
Research Tool Requirement - 6 credit hours minimum
Dissertation - 6 credit hours minimum
Core Requirements (6 Credit Hours)
Requirements (33 Credit Hours)
In addition to the six (6) hours of core requirements, students are required to take a minimum of 33 hours of coursework beyond the M.A. degree (not counting credits for dissertation research). Six (6) hours of graduate coursework must be in an area of study outside the department. Students must enroll in and successfully complete a minimum of 12 hours designated as Ph.D. Seminars (COM 7933 ) as part of their elective coursework.
Research Tool Requirement (6 Credit Hours)
In addition to COM 7325 , complete an additional six (6) hours of coursework to fulfill the research tool requirement. If students elect to take both Qualitative and Critical Methods, they must take an additional methods course (3 hours) subject to the approval of their major professor.
Qualifying Exam Requirement
All students must pass a written and oral qualifying examination covering the student’s area of specialization and methodological competence. This examination will be prepared and evaluated by the student’s supervisory committee
Dissertation (6 Credit Hours Minimum)
In consultation with the major professor and supervisory committee, students will select a dissertation topic and write and orally defend a dissertation proposal. Upon completion of the dissertation, the student must pass an oral defense.
- Establish a supervisory faculty committee consisting of a major professor and at least two additional members from the Department of Communication and at least one member outside the Department of Communication. The supervisory committee must be approved by the Director of Graduate Studies.
- Prepare a Plan of Study approved by the student’s supervisory committee. The Plan of Study expresses the ways in which the student will show evidence of the following:
- expertise in one of the central domains of communication study;
- expertise in the research methodologies needed to carry out original research in the specialized area of concentration