Priority Admission Application Deadlines: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
Minimum Total Hours: 30
CIP Code: 27.0101
Dept. Code: MTH
Major/College Codes: MTH AS
Pure and Applied (PAA)
Also offered as an Accelerated Major
College: Arts and Sciences
Department: Mathematics and Statistics
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
The major provides the experience and knowledge to understand and appreciate prior accomplishments in the discipline and develop the skills necessary for a meaningful contribution to the intellectual advancement and applications of the discipline. It prepares its graduates to pursue long-term careers in their field by providing solid and cutting-edge knowledge, as well as a technical education enabling them to take on leading positions in a modern economy.
Major Research Areas
Algebra & Number Theory, Applied Statistics, Approximation Theory, Bio-Mathematics, Complex & Harmonic Analysis, Cyber-Security & Cryptography, Data Science, Differential Equations, Graph Theory & Combinatorics, Low-Dimensional Topology, Mathematics Education, Mathematical Physics, Operator Theory, Probability, Statistical Learning, Stochastic Processes & Modelling
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in mathematical sciences or related area.
- GRE - At least a 55th percentile Quantitative score; Verbal and Analytical Writing scores are also considered.
- At least a 3.00 GPA in undergraduate math courses, and specifically in the following courses or their equivalents: Elementary Abstract Algebra, Bridge to Abstract Mathematics, and Intermediate Analysis.
- Three letters of recommendation (two of which should be from college level mathematics/statistics professors).
- A completed math department application form, including a statement of goals
- A completed departmental graduate teaching assistantship application form (if such a position is desired).
The Graduate Admissions Committee may provisionally admit applicants from other majors to the Master’s Program if they meet the GPA requirement.