Priority Admission Application Deadlines: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
Minimum Total Hours: 47
CIP Code: 13.1101
Dept. Code: EDF
Major/College Codes: AGC ED
Career Counseling (CRC)
Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMH)
School Counseling (SCL)
Department: Educational and Psychological Studies
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
The Counselor Education major provides students with the general counseling skills needed to become professional counselors. Graduates are trained to assess problems, counsel clients, select appropriate intervention strategies and consult with other professionals and administrators. Three concentraareas are available: School Counseling (Plan II), Clinical Mental Health, and Career Counseling. For students who prefer to work in community based counseling positions rather than in elementary or secondary schools, there are two Plan III options: (a) Mental Health Counseling and (b) Career Counseling.
Accredited by the Council for the Accredication of Educator Programs (CAEP).
Major Research Areas:
Multicultural counseling and development, career development, play therapy, cognitive-behavioral interventions, community mental health, and counselor education and supervision.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
Requirements also include:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Score is required with a preferred score of at least the 50th percentile Verbal and the 50th percentile Quantitative (writing not required) Or A Miller’s Analogy Test (MAT) score of at least 50
- Students who have GRE subtest scores of less than the 50th percentile or MAT scores of less than 50 must have GPAs above 3.20 in order to be considered for admission.
- CLAST/GKT required for applicants interested in the School Counseling Concentration
- Proof of educational or professional experience
- Three Letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
In addition to university requirements, applicants to the College of Education must provide the following:
- A social security number in majors requiring practica or internships;
- Other information as required by the major of interest, (e.g. GRE scores, etc.)