Priority Admission Application Deadlines: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
Minimum Total Hours: 39
CIP Code: 13.1311
Dept. Code: EDI
Major/College Codes: TMA ED
This major shares core requirements with the M.A. in Mathematics Education and the M.A.T. in Mathematics Education (6-12).
Department: Teaching and Learning
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
The M.A.T. in Middle Grades Mathematics Education (5-9) is designed for individuals seeking initial certification to teach mathematics at the middle grades level. Please be advised that program and/or course requirements are subject to change, per state legislative mandates, Florida Department of Education program approval standards, and accreditation criteria.
Accredited by the Florida Department of Education and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
Meet one of the following criteria:
- Have passed the Florida Subject Area Exam in Mathematics 5-9
- Have completed at least 18 credit hours in mathematics at the level of college algebra
- Passed the Florida General Knowledge Test (GKT). For the graduate level teacher preparation programs, preferred GRE scores of 150 verbal and 156 quantitative or higher, taken within the last five years may be accepted in place of GKT, for admission to the program.
For admission to a Master of Arts in Teaching Program, the student must demonstrate mastery of general knowledge by one of the following:
* Passing the General Knowledge Test, a portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (link to http://www.fldoe.org/accountability/assessments/postsecondary-assessment/ftce)
* Effective for tests administered on or after July 1, 2015, achievement of passing scores, as identified in Rule 6A-4.0021(12), F.A.C., on test sections of the GRE® revised General Test GRE Analytical Writing combined score of 4 out of 6 acceptable for GK Essay GRE Quantitative Reasoning scaled score of 147 acceptable for GK Mathematics GRE Verbal Reasoning scaled score of 151 acceptable for both GK English Language Skills and GK Reading
In addition to the University requirements, applicants to the College of Education must provide the following:
- A social security number in degree programs requiring practica or internships;
- Other information as required by the major of interest, (e.g. Graduate Record Exam scores, etc.).