This program is offered fully online.
Priority Admission Application Deadlines: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
Minimum Total Hours: 30
CIP Code: 13.1312
Dept Code: MUS
Major/College Codes: MUE FA
College: The Arts
Department: School of Music
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/majors
The MA degree at USF is intended for the currently practicing music educator who wishes to increase their understanding of informal learning and learner-centered pedagogies. This major also empowers students to become action researchers and thoughtful consumers of research in music education.
Accreditation: National Association of Schools of Music (N.A.S.M.).
Major Research Areas:
Alternate Methods, Community Collaboration, Contemporary Changes, Early Childhood, General Music, International Perspectives, Multicultural Issues, Technology, Teacher Behaviors, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology.
Must meet University Admission and English Proficiency requirements, as well as requirements for admission to the major, listed below.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required.
- An official Transcript for a completed undergraduate degree in music (from an accredited program) is required with the application.
- The GPA for all music, music education, and education courses included in the undergraduate degree must be at least 3.00.
- A Résumé
- A minimum of two (2) current Letters of Recommendation from people qualified to speak on behalf of the applicant’s professional capabilities must accompany the application.
- At least two years of K-12 music teaching experience, or the equivalent, are required.
- However, final approval for admission must be granted by the music education faculty.
International students must include copies of graduation Certificates and/or Diplomas (in addition to official transcripts) with their applications.
It is important to enroll in the term of admission. If postponement is necessary, you should request that your application be updated for the term when you will register for classes.